PARENT/GUARDIAN* RIGHTS NOTICE
*For the purposes of this form, parent includes legal guardian
- A parent has primary responsibility for the education of his/her child; the state is in a secondary and supportive role to parents.
- A parent has the right to reasonable academic accommodations from Green Acres Elementary School as specified below.
- Green Acres Elementary School will make a determination of what is reasonable based on the factors provided in Utah Code Ann. 53A-15-1501(2)(a) and (b), as outlined below.
“Reasonably accommodate” means:
- Green Acres Elementary School shall make its best effort to enable parents to exercise their rights without substantial impact to staff and resources. Impact to staff and resources includes, but is not limited to:
- employee working conditions,
- safety and supervision on school premises and for school activities, and
- the efficient allocation of expenditures.
- In accommodating a parent request, Green Acres Elementary School will balance the following:
- the rights of parents;
- the educational needs of other students;
- the academic and behavioral impacts to a classroom ;
- a teacher’s workload; and
- the assurance of the safe and efficient operation of a school.
- Green Acres Elementary School will consider each accommodation on an individual basis.
- Green Acres Elementary School will consider all students equally in granting accommodations.
- Green Acres Elementary School will make its best efforts to allow parents to exercise the rights below but may deny a request for accommodation that:
- substantially impacts staff and resources, or
- infringes on the educational needs of other students, the academic and behavioral impacts to a classroom, a teacher’s workload, and the assurance of the safe and efficient operation of a school.
- Parents have the right to have reasonable accommodations for their students by Green Acres Elementary School as specified below:
- Pursuant to a written request, to have a student retained based on the student’s academic ability or the student’s social, emotional, or physical maturity;
Pursuant to a written request, to excuse a student from attendance for a family event or visit a health care provider without requiring a note from the provider;
- Green Acres Elementary School may require a student to complete make-up work missed due to an absence excused for a family event.
- Green Acres Elementary School may offer positive incentives for students to attend school.
- Pursuant to a written request, to place a student in a specialized class or advance course, based on multiple academic points;
- To initially select a teacher;
- To request a change of teacher;
- To visit and observe any class the student attends;
- To meet with a teacher at a mutually agreeable time, other than regular parent/teacher conferences.
- Green Acres Elementary School will
- allow a student to earn course credit towards graduation without the course by testing out of the course, or demonstrating competency in course standards.
- pursuant to a written request, excuse a student from taking a statewide or NAEP testing.
- The parental rights above do not include all rights that may be available to parents.
- Notice to parents and students
- This policy serves as notice to parents of their rights under Utah Code §53A-15-1502.
- Green Acres Elementary School will distribute the school’s Conduct and Discipline Policy to students (including to students enrolled for the first time).
- Parents will be notified and provided with an opportunity to acknowledge receipt of Green Acres Elementary School’s discipline and conduct policy.
- Green Acres Elementary School will notify a parent of a student’s violation of the discipline and conduct policy, and allow a parent to respond to the notice in accordance with Chapter 11, Part 9, School Discipline and Conduct Plans.