Community Council Meeting
September 23, 2015
- Call to order- Present: Jennifer Jensen, Bret Holmes, Judy Jensen, Connie Chatelain, Valerie Donley, Lisa Gilstrap, Anna Glazier. Excused: Dave Burt
- Acceptance of the March 25th meeting minutes
- New Business
a Election of Chair and Vice Chair: Lisa Gilstrap moved to nominate Bret Holmes for Chair. Valerie Donley seconded it. It was unanimous. Bret moved to nominate Connie Chatelain for Vice Chair. Lisa Gilstrap seconded it. It was unanimous
b.Discussed the new council responsibility of internet safety oversight. The district safety protocols were discussed. It was proposed that we go with the district’s internet safety plan.
c. Discussed and approved the emergency and safety plans. The safe route has a section of sidewalk not complete- Connie Chatelain heard of a program to get that funded and will send it to Mrs. Gilstrap to start working on that as a possible way to get this done.
d. DATA report: The school received a C grade from the state, however, the school is making progress. Reviewed School Improvement Plan goals:
1. 90% students will read at Benchmark at the end of 3rd grade: DIBELS data showed that 91%or 3rd graders were at benchmark at the end of last year.
2. Students will gain a year of growth according to SAGE data and Dreambox data
SAGE math scores:
3. Goal #3 review- students will be active learners of science; they will do science. They will observe, inquire, question, formulate and test hypotheses, analyze data, report, and evaluate findings. The students, as scientists will have a minimum of two integrated hands-on, active experiences throughout the instruction of the science curriculum. Students’ perceptions that they are capable of learning and doing science will increase.
Each student received the first project lead the way module and at least one other field trip or science experience/field trip/ activity.
Summer reading and math challenges: 100 students met the reading challenge earning medals and 50 students earned math medals. It was suggested that we give out foxes for reading over the summer….
Project Lead the Way Modules
K- Structure and Function:Exploring Design & Structure and Function: Human Body
1- Animated Storytelling & Animal Adaptations
2- Grids and Games & The Changing Earth
3- Stability and Motion: Science and Flight & Stability and Motion: Forces and Interaction
4- Input/Output: Computer Systems & Input/Output: Human Brain
5- Variations of Traits & Robotics: Automation & Infection Detection
6- Energy: Collisions & Energy: Conversions
Apply for STEM school designation through USOE
Briefly discussed math instruction changes to help move forward and homework helper for parent support. http://greatminds.net/support/parents